Sunday, April 28, 2013

Concentration Issues and Being Overly Social

I am not a researcher. I am not interested in doing research and I never want to be a researcher. Well, here's the problem (and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this): studying at the university means that I will have to write a thesis to be able to graduate. I was always good in school. I am lucky enough to be one of those people who learns really easily, so I never had to study that much for exams or such. Just attending class and listening was enough. It was always quite easy for me to get good grades. Lucky me right? Well here's the problem. Not having to study that hard has resulted in me not knowing HOW to actually study. I have major concentration issues when I have to get something done and I have a way of always finding something "more important" to do, like cleaning, baking, laundry, sorting out my closet or arranging papers that have been lying around.

I had cleared out this weekend so that I'd have two whole days to work on my thesis. To do some reading and writing. How did that turn out? Well it's 2.45 pm on Sunday now, and I have read one page during the whole weekend. One page! Talk about lazy! I am ashamed of myself to tell you the truth. The problem isn't so much about getting things done, I am quite effective once I get started. It's the starting I have issues with.

The pile of books and papers that's waiting for me.


Then there's the other problem. In addition to having problems concentrating, I am overly social. This is where you might think that "that's not a problem". Well normally it wouldn't be, but currently it causes problems with my academic work. Like I said before, this weekend I was supposed to devote all my time to my dear, beloved thesis. Then on Friday morning I had recieved a couch request. I had already turned a few requests down for this weekend, but this one was a couple that looked for a host for one night. So I accepted, telling them that I would have time on Friday night, but that was busy on Saturday, so I wouldn't be able to show them around or hang out. A good plan so far, since I would be too tired to work on my thesis on Friday after work. Well somehow the evening got a bit out of hand. A couple of friends came over and we were cooking, drinking some wine and smoking shisha. Until 5.30 in the morning. Needless to say that really wasn't in the shape to work on my thesis on Saturday. I just don't know how to say no to a friend asking me to hang out! How pathetic is that?

Now the half of Sunday has past as well, and what have I done so far? Slept until 10, had breakfast, watched a couple of episodes of Gilmore Girls, did a couple of loads of laundry, sorted some papers, cleaned the toilet and washed the dishes. Yes, I got a lot done, but not the things I was supposed to. How to concentrate? Well, usually I prefer to go to work at the university library, because home chores won't distract me there. Yeah, that's what I need to do on thesis weekends from now on. And I should make the promise to catch up on my reading for at least one hour every day. Maybe that'll do it.


What's better than a nice big breakfast on the weekend?

How do you manage any problems with getting started? Do you have any good tips on how to concentrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment